Management Information Systems, or MIS, professionals combine business knowledge and information technology (IT) know-how to better organize and run businesses. They ensure that the technology used to run a business operates efficiently, and help implement new technology for the organization. In addition, MIS professionals:
- Plan technology in relation to an organization's goals
- Oversee software development, network security, and Internet operations
- Install and upgrade hardware and software
- Provide security and maintenance of networks
An MIS professional likely has a strong grasp of core concepts and skills such as: analytical thinking, leadership skills, technical expertise, and business and management principles.
How to Prepare for a Career in Management Information Systems
Your management info systems career should begin with the right education. An MIS degree can prepare you for the challenges of the business and technology world. A bachelor's degree in a computer-related specialty like MIS or computer science is generally required for management positions, and some employers may prefer a master's degree. A master's MIS degree can often be completed in two years.
The right management info systems degree can lead to a career in one of many MIS specialties, including: web site design and development, security risk assessment, business analysis, information systems management and information technology project management.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, computer and information systems managers enjoy an average annual salary of $118,710, and are expected to see faster than average employment growth over the decade ending in 2018. Growth for this career is closely aligned with similar professions such as:
- Computer software engineer (Average annual salary: $87,900)
- Network and computer systems administrator (Average annual salary: $69,570)
- Network systems and data communication analyst (Average annual salary: $73,830)
With you management information systems degree, a promising MIS career could be at your fingertips. Don't hesitate to make your dreams a reality and start your management info systems education today.