Career Profiles and Employment Projections
- Switchboard Operators (Including Answering Service)
Switchboard Operators (Including Answering Service)
Top 3 switchboard operator Jobs
- Portland, ME
- Messiah Lifeways
- Mechanicsburg, PA
Monitors door access security and fire alarm systems.
• JOB STANDARDS
• High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Switchboard Operator - PHBE
- Palmetto Health
- Columbia, SC
In addition, this job also receives and refers a high volume of calls using multiple computerized telephone systems in a busy and/or complicated work
See all switchboard operator jobs
What Switchboard operators Do
Operate telephone business systems equipment or switchboards to relay incoming, outgoing, and interoffice calls. May supply information to callers and record messages.
Switchboard operator Salaries
- 2014 employment: 112,400
- May 2015 median annual wage: $27,440
Job Outlook for Switchboard operators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -37,000
- Growth rate: -33 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Switchboard operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.