Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Meter Readers (Utilities): Jobs, Career, Salary and Education Information
Meter Readers (Utilities)
Top 3 meter readers Jobs
Water Meter Reader
- Dallas Police Department-Texas
- Dallas, TX
A minimum of 15 through 29 work hours per week will be counted as part-time employment and will receive half credit for the amount of time employed
- Utility Resource Group, LLC.
- Detroit, MI
This is not just a career, it is a career with a purpose.
URG is a full-service utility contractor, providing a variety of infrastructure service
- Chesapeake Utilities
- DeBary, FL
See all meter readers jobs
What Meter readers Do
Read meter and record consumption of electricity, gas, water, or steam.
Meter reader Salaries
- 2014 employment: 37,400
- May 2015 median annual wage: $38,510
Job Outlook for Meter readers
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -6,700
- Growth rate: -18 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Meter reader
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.