Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Gas Plant Operators: Jobs, Career and Salary Information
Gas Plant Operators
What Gas plant operators Do
Distribute or process gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
Gas plant operator Salaries
- 2014 employment: 16,700
- May 2015 median annual wage: $66,010
Job Outlook for Gas plant operators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -600
- Growth rate: -3 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Gas plant operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Long-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.