In preparing for your phone interview, there are several things you can do. To prepare for an unexpected contact:
- Tape your resume to a wall where you can view it while on the phone. It will be there for any call (planned or unplanned) and will be a constant reminder for your job search.
- Keep all of your employer research materials within easy reach of your phone.
- Have a notepad available to take notes.
- Keep a mirror nearby (you will understand why in the next few pages).
If the phone interview is to occur at a set time, there are additional steps you can take:
- Place a "Do Not Disturb" note on your door.
- Turn off your stereo, TV, and any other potential distraction.
- Warm up your voice while waiting for the call. Sing an uplifting song to yourself.
- Have a glass of water handy, since you will not have a chance to take a break during the call.
- Speaking of breaks, if your phone interview is at a set time, make sure you answer nature's call first.
- Turn off call waiting on your phone.