Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Rotary Drill Operators (Oil and Gas): Career Information
Rotary Drill Operators (Oil and Gas)
Top 3 rotary drill operators Jobs
Drill Rig Operator
- Building & Earth
- Montgomery, AL
Operate drill rigs safely
• Execute drilling tasks such as, soil drilling, conventional and wireline rock coring, sampling, testing and observing
- Carpenter Technology Corporation
- Midland, TX
A company of Carpenter Technology Corporation, Amega West combines its superior service quality with Carpenter's high-performance CarTech® materials
Geotechnical Drilling Crew Chief
- NORTHERN TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- Ramsey, MN
This position pays an hourly rate of up to $32 per hour, with the potential for bonuses.
• Previous drilling
See all rotary drill operators jobs
What Rotary drill operators Do
Set up or operate a variety of drills to remove underground oil and gas, or remove core samples for testing during oil and gas exploration. Excludes Earth Drillers, Except Oil and Gas.
Rotary drill operator Salaries
- 2014 employment: 27,700
- May 2015 median annual wage: $54,310
Job Outlook for Rotary drill operators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: 3,500
- Growth rate: 13 percent (Faster than average)
How to Become a Rotary drill operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.