Job Search Advice
Best College Resumes
Use this checklist to ensure that your resume is complete:
- One page only, unless you have significant previous experience
- Use an award-winning format such as the Quickstart Resume Templates
- Times Roman or other Serif font, 10 point to 12 point size (12 point is best)
- No more than two fonts nor two sizes
- Margins no less than .8" and no more than 1.5"
- Quality bond paper used when printing, 8.5" x 11"
- Contact information clearly stated; campus and permanent addresses both listed if appropriate
- Clear, focused objective
- Summary of your top three or four accomplishments, skills or competencies listed as bullet points
- Degree listed first, college/university second
- GPA listed if over 3.0
- Major GPA listed if over 3.0 and your overall GPA is under 3.0
- Planned graduation date listed, if you have not yet graduated
- Experience section listing notable accomplishments with focus on internships/work first, academics second
- Job title first, employer name second
- Descriptive (not actual) job titles: "College Intern" is not descriptive, use "Software Development Intern"
- Keyword searchable industry buzzwords included
- If needing to fill the page, include an Activities section listing your most notable extracurricular activities
- No personal data or potentially discriminatory data
- Spell-check and grammar-check your resume—twice; then have at least two other people do it for you again
- Save in Word format as your baseline document, then PDF for distribution and text (.txt) for resume database uploads
For an example of a polished entry level resume, take a look at our sample resume.
Free Expert Resume Analysis - Get your resume evaluated by a professional resume expert. You'll receive specific suggestions for improvements within three days. Resume writing services also available.