Job Search Advice
Best College Resumes
- Resume Checklist
Use this checklist to ensure that your resume is complete:
- One page only, unless you have significant previous experience
- Word processor generated, with full spell check (automated and manual) and proofing
- Times Roman or other Serif font, 10 point to 12 point size (12 point is best)
- No more than two fonts or two sizes
- Margins no less than 1" and no more than 1.5"
- Quality bond paper, 8.5" x 11"
- Contact information clearly stated; campus and permanent addresses both listed if appropriate
- Clear, focused objective
- Summary of your top three or four accomplishments, skills or competencies listed as bullet points
- Degree listed first, college/university second
- GPA listed if over 3.0
- Major GPA listed if over 3.0 and your overall GPA is under 3.0
- Graduation date listed, even if you have not yet graduated
- Experience section listing notable accomplishments
- Descriptive (not actual) job titles
- Industry buzzwords and keywords included
- Activities section listing your most notable extracurricular activities
- No personal data or potentially discriminatory data
- Spell-check and grammar-check your resume—twice; then have at least two other people do it for you again.
Free Expert Resume Analysis - Get your resume evaluated by a professional resume expert. You'll receive specific suggestions for improvements within three days. Resume writing services also available.