How excited are you about your new car? Take a minute, though, and think about how it got to you. It probably arrived on a truck, and that truck was probably diesel-fueled. So, you owe an enthusiastic thank you to the diesel service technician that made it all happen.
Matching School Ads
- Diesel/Heavy Vehicle Technology w/ Service Management - Associate's
- Diesel/Heavy Vehicle Technology - Diploma
- Automotive Technology - Diploma
PUT YOUR CAREER IN GEAR
If you enjoy working with your hands and are looking for a rewarding career, contact Advanced Technology Institute, located in Virginia Beach, VA!
ATI offers NATEF/ASE Master Certified Automotive Technology programs, is approved for Veterans, and is licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Financial Assistance is available for those who qualify and graduate employment services are also offered.
Locations: Virginia Beach, VA
At Porter and Chester Institute, we’re serious about preparing you for career success. By completing one of our Automotive, Computer, Healthcare, or Trades programs, you’ll enjoy five advantages during your job search:
1. You gain knowledge and skills employers want you to know.
2. You learn from instructors who’ve worked in the field.
3. You learn by doing through hands-on instruction.
4. You develop personal skills and habits to become more employable.
5. You enhance your job interview skills and résumé.
Locations: Chicopee, MA , Worcester, MA , Branford, CT , More...
- Master Truck & Diesel Technician
- Certified Truck & Diesel Technician
- Master Automotive & Diesel Technician
- And more...
DON'T HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED? NO PROBLEM!
Worried you can't get on the road to success without your high school diploma or GED? At New York Automotive and Diesel Institute, you can still receive the the automotive training you need to start your high-octance career.
Welcome to New York Automotive & Diesel Institute. We’re known exclusively for training students to become Master Automotive, Diesel & Collision Technicians - knowledgeable in all aspects of repair and service of cars, trucks and diesel engines.
Locations: Jamaica, NY
Matching School Ads
What a Diesel Engine Technician Does
The diesel engine technician is the diesel doctor. His or her patients are buses, trucks, locomotives and any other machine that operates using a diesel engine. Whether via diesel engine technician training or experience, this tech must be an expert in diesel engine technology, because some of his duties include:
- repairing electrical systems
- maintaining equipment
- adjusting engine functions
- complying with environmental regulations
Diesel Engine Technology Training
Given that these professionals are dealing with substantial machines, employers prefer hiring graduates from diesel engine technician programs. Many community colleges and trade schools offer a diesel engine technician degree. This typically involves:
- six months to two years of diesel engine technician classes
- thirty hours per week of hands-on training
- technology or laboratory courses
While a diesel engine technician certificate is preferred, a state commercial driver's license is mandatory.
Salary Potential and Job Outlook for a Diesel Engine Technician
A diesel engine technician makes approximately $18.94/ hour. There is also potential to receive commission, which is usually derived from the labor cost charged to the customer.Many technicians are members of a union, which can offer insurance options and employment protection. Employment is expected to grow by about 6% in the next decade. Given that diesel fuel is considered more efficient and durable than its competitors, there could be new job opportunities in the near future.