Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Tailors, Dressmakers, and Custom Sewers: Jobs, Career Information
Tailors, Dressmakers, and Custom Sewers
What They Do
Design, make, alter, repair, or fit garments.
Tailor, dressmaker, and custom sewer Salaries
- 2014 employment: 40,500
- May 2015 median annual wage: $25,830
Job Outlook for Tailors, dressmakers, and custom sewers
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -3,400
- Growth rate: -9 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Tailor, dressmaker, or custom sewer
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.