Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Subway and Streetcar Operators: Career Information
Subway and Streetcar Operators
What Subway and streetcar operators Do
Operate subway or elevated suburban trains with no separate locomotive, or electric-powered streetcar, to transport passengers. May handle fares.
Subway and streetcar operator Salaries
- 2014 employment: 12,000
- May 2015 median annual wage: $62,360
Job Outlook for Subway and streetcar operators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: 600
- Growth rate: 5 percent (As fast as average)
How to Become a Subway or streetcar operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.