Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Sewing Machine Operators: Career and Salary Information
Sewing Machine Operators
What Sewing machine operators Do
Operate or tend sewing machines to join, reinforce, decorate, or perform related sewing operations in the manufacture of garment or nongarment products.
Sewing machine operator Salaries
- 2014 employment: 153,900
- May 2015 median annual wage: $22,550
Job Outlook for Sewing machine operators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -41,700
- Growth rate: -27 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Sewing machine operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.