Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Petroleum Pump System and Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
Top 3 refinery operator Jobs
Vegetable Oil Refinery Operator
- Perdue Farms, Inc
- Salisbury, MD
This position is a rotating 12-hr shift position.
The Vegetable Oil Refinery is a state of the art facility which processes crude vegetable oil into
- The Refinery Creative
- Sherman Oaks, CA
- Warsaw, NC
• Understand and be able to clearly communicate equipment functions, product flow and interconnections systems
See all refinery operator jobs
What They Do
Operate or control petroleum refining or processing units. May specialize in controlling manifold and pumping systems, gauging or testing oil in storage tanks, or regulating the flow of oil into pipelines.
- 2014 employment: 42,400
- May 2015 median annual wage: $65,190
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: 900
- Growth rate: 2 percent (Slower than average)
How to Become One
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Long-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.