Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Layout Workers (Metal and Plastic): Career Information
Layout Workers (Metal and Plastic)
What They Do
Lay out reference points and dimensions on metal or plastic stock or workpieces, such as sheets, plates, tubes, structural shapes, castings, or machine parts, for further processing. Includes shipfitters.
Layout worker Salaries
- 2014 employment: 13,400
- May 2015 median annual wage: $44,530
Job Outlook for Layout workers
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -2,700
- Growth rate: -20 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Layout worker
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.