Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Derrick Operators (Oil and Gas): Career Information
Derrick Operators (Oil and Gas)
What Derrick operators Do
Rig derrick equipment and operate pumps to circulate mud through drill hole.
Derrick operator Salaries
- 2014 employment: 21,700
- May 2015 median annual wage: $47,910
Job Outlook for Derrick operators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: 2,900
- Growth rate: 13 percent (Faster than average)
How to Become a Derrick operator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.