Silver Spring, MD
Liberty’s Promise is seeking an energetic and fluent Spanish speaker as a Program Officer and Wellness Center Case Manager for our two after school programs at Northwood High School: Civic Engagement for Beginning English Language Learners (CE-BELL) and Civics and Citizenship.
The successful candidate will implement the organization’s internship and civic engagement after-school programs at Northwood High School and work directly with youth as a Youth Development Specialist conducting case management at Northwood High School Wellness Center.
These programs serve immigrant youth in ESOL classes. The candidate will run two programs after school, one in English and one in Spanish. Therefore, applicants must be fluent in English and Spanish. All applicants must have substantial and successful experience working with adolescents, preferably in a multicultural environment with trauma informed care.
In our after-school programs, we teach youth about the civic life of their local community and how they can become involved in it. We also walk them through the college application process, help them apply to jobs, and assist them with scholarship resources. We implement this curriculum through games, field trips, and interactive activities. In this role, creativity is key. Another core aspect of our programs is community service, both to help youth obtain the Student Service Learning hours needed to graduate and to ensure they feel at home in their community. Many youth in our CE-BELL program have recently arrived in the United States, so a successful program officer should be an empathetic listener and culturally sensitive to their lived experiences.
● Develop curriculum in English and Spanish and manage after-school civic engagement programs for low-income, immigrant youth
● Coordinate and manage summer professional internship program for youth
● Organize and schedule guest speakers, field trips (occasionally on Saturdays), and eight-week internships
● Meet and assist youth with leadership, internship, job, college, and scholarship applications, essay editing
● Track and update program outcomes and statistics using our Salesforce database, and use ETO and Salesforce at the Wellness Center to document confidential client information
● Support young people referred to the Wellness Center for needs including clothes, insurance, extra mentoring, grades assistance, help with medical bills, or behavioral issues.
● Refer students to community resources regarding mental health, financial assistance, vocational services, and more
● At the Wellness Center, participate in weekly staff meetings and supervisions
● Engage in online trainings at the Wellness Center (diversity, HIPAA, office communication, etc.) each month during your first year
● Develop and file case plans and progress notes
● Attend parent nights, ESOL nights, or any other events at the school
● Assist Wellness Center Staff with written translation and interpretation in both languages
● Facilitate communication between Wellness Center and Liberty’s Promise
● Create expense reports and manage the program’s supplies
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
● Fluent in English and Spanish, comfortable leading groups of students in both languages
● Comfortable working in a small office environment
● Must exhibit flexibility, reliability, exceptional professionalism, and a strong work ethic
● Experience working with youth and a desire to help them achieve their goals
● Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to think on your feet and find solutions to unanticipated problems
● Dedication to working with youth and helping our organization grow over the long term
● Knowledge of ETO and Salesforce is a plus
● Must be able to work under pressure and with little guidance/independently
● Effective time management skills
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until 26 August or until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Starting salary will be $42,000 per year, including 80% paid healthcare benefit (if desired), a standard vacation and sick package, and life insurance.
Must be fully vaccinated to work in the Wellness Center. Remote work not available for this position as you will be in the school supporting students on a daily basis.