Communications professionals play an important role in the information economy. News media, business marketing, and entertainment are just a few of the industries that offer career opportunities for communications graduates.
Matching School Ads
- AAS-Digital Media
- Digital Media Specialist
About the College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW's academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College's technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
Locations: White Plains, NY
- BSBA - New Media/Internet Marketing
- Bachelor of Science: Communication
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Locations: Urbandale, IA , Omaha, NE
- Master of Public Affairs with a specialization in Criminal Justice
- Master of Public Affairs with a specialization in Human Resource Management
- Master of Public Affairs
- And more...
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
Locations: Louisville, KY , Indianapolis, IN
Matching School Ads
Communications Degrees and Programs: What You Need to Know
College communications degrees prepare you for careers in writing, visual communications, speech communication, or journalism. Depending on the major you choose, you may focus on digital or print media; theory or applied business communications.
- Associate of Arts, Applied Science, or Business Administration. The two-year associate's degree offers a career-oriented curriculum in communications. Depending on the associate's degree type you choose (AA, AAS, or ABA), you may focus on writing and graphic communications, communications technology, or organizational communications.
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications. The four-year undergraduate degree features core liberal arts and science classes as well as a comprehensive foundation in written and verbal communications. The BA curriculum combines communications theory and practice, with training in digital communications or business.
- Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Business Administration. These graduate degrees may be completed in two years. They feature advanced training in a specialized communications field.
Look for communications schools at art institutes, technical and vocational schools, and colleges. More and more programs are also offering communications online degree options to accommodate working adults.
Communications Career Outlook
Communications career prospects vary depending on the specialty you choose. The Department of Labor forecasts strong employment growth in digital communication and communications technology. Advertising and public relations are perennial sources of employment for communication degree holders. Salaries vary based on the career direction you choose. Writers earned $64,560 in 2008, and entry-level PR specialists averaged $58,960.
A communications degree prepares you to communicate information using today's wide range of media: print, digital, speech, and visual art. Whether you apply your expertise to entertain, inform, or sell a product, you'll enter the workforce with a powerful and versatile skill set.