Art and Design Schools, Online Degrees and Programs
Art and design careers are booming in our media-rich information age. Creative types find demand for their talent in communications, entertainment, and design. Build technical skills and turn your artistic talent into a marketable skill.
Search for more degrees:
Art and Design Career Directions
Opportunities for creative expression exist across the economy, from the entertainment industry to retail to marketing communications. Find your art and design career path in:
- Journalism: art director, photographer
- Digital design: Web developer user experience designer
- Marketing: branding consultant, advertising associate, merchandising specialist
- Retail: fashion designer or merchandiser, industrial designer
- Entertainment: game designer, movie special effects (CGI) designer, recording artist
- Construction: CAD drafter, interior designer
Art and Design Career Outlook
The career outlook is strong for commercial art and design professionals. The Department of Labor predicts 12 percent job growth for art careers from 2008 to 2018, citing "an increased reliance on artists to create digital or multimedia artwork." Demand for designers in traditional fields such as fashion design and jewelry design should hold steady.
Art and Design Salary Information
Commercial art and design careers offer attractive earnings potentials. Multi-media artists earned $62,380 in 2008, while fashion designers brought in $71,400. Art directors earned $88,510.
How to Prepare for a Career in Art and Design
Art and design degrees help you compete for these creative careers. Common degree requirements include:
- Associate of Art or Applied Arts. This two-year program provides career-focused technical training as well as basic design classes and studio practice.
- Bachelor of Arts. The BA typically takes four years to complete. It provides a more comprehensive general education as well as art and design training. Programs emphasize both design theory and studio practice.
- Master of Fine Arts. The MFA is a two-year graduate program building on the BA. It emphasizes studio practice.
Creative careers offer broad opportunity for talented artists and designers with the right training. An art and design online degree can help you transform your artistic vision into a lucrative career.